[Samba] Incorrect permissions on mount despite correct options

Tim Starr starrte at clarkson.edu
Sun Apr 18 05:51:31 GMT 2004

	From: 	  starrte at clarkson.edu
	Subject: 	Incorrect permission of mount despite correct options
	Date: 	April 9, 2004 2:00:49 AM EDT
	To: 	  samba at lists.samba.org

Hello, this is a problem I have worked on for a very long time. Here
begins the story begins when the 2.6.0-testing series of Linux kernels
were being released.

I had a mount samba mount served by my mac running Mac OS X 10.3 (smbd
currently at version 3.0.2) and the client was a x86 based Debian
machine running unstable and a custom 2.4.x kernel (currently running
2.6.5 kernel and samba 3.0.2a Debian). While I was using the 2.4.x
series kernels the mount worked as expected. No problems here. However
back when the 2.6.0-testing (first encountered the problem in
2.6.0-testing4's initial release) series kernel were being released I
could not get my mount to continue to work correctly. The problem was
that it was/is being mounted under the following permissions:

tstarr at host:~/mount$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Apr  7 20:39 Audio
drwxrwxr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Apr  9 01:29 Desktop
drwx------    1 501      dialout         0 Apr  2 15:33 Documents
drwxrwxrw-    1 501      dialout         0 Feb 19 10:38 Graphics
drwxr-xr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Apr  8 12:30 Internet
drwx------    1 501      dialout         0 Apr  1 15:06 Library
drwxr-xr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Sep  8  2003 Music
drwxr-xr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Jan 29 19:02 Other Stuff
drwxrwxrw-    1 501      dialout         0 Sep 25  2003 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Mar 22 19:55 Productivity
drwxr-xr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Apr  3 21:34 Utilities
drwxr-xr-x    1 501      dialout         0 Apr  2 15:35 Video

Now I have no user 501 on my system and no dialout group either. Odd.
So I revert back to my 2.4 kernel. 2.6.0-testing9 comes out- same
results so I continue to use the 2.4 series (all along this mount works
under Windows 2k fine and continues to). Finally around kernel version
2.6.3 I take a big stab at the problem. I try mounting it with other
systems and they all work. I have been trying to find a live linux
distribution based on 2.6 to check if my install is just messed up but
I haven't been able to. I have mounted it fine using a knoppix 3.3 live
cd running a 2.4 kernel. This share also works fine while using the
smbclient tool. I have had numerous conversations with people on IRC
only for them to come up stumped. Here is a list of things I've tried:
- Mounting with no uid or gid provided doesn't change things
- Mounting with numeric uid and gid
- Multiple mount points
- Different shares on the Mac OS X server
- Recompiled kernels and Debian supplied kernels

I have not been able to try a few things that I want to, another list:

- Using another 2.6 based linux machine
- Different version of smbmount on current linux kernel and setup
- Different smbd version of OS X machine

Unfortunately I cannot do those so I am lost as to what is going on. If
it was simply Debian unstable not "liking" the default OS X samba setup
I would have imagined there would be more people having this problem. I
had found ONE message detailing this problem exactly only the uid it
was being mounted under was 504. The post had no follow up and I cannot
find the link right now (sorry I did a google search but can't remember
the phrase I used, I believe it's actually on the samba list).
I am sure I have forgotten important configuration details on both
sides, don't hesitate to ask!!! Also I haven't been able to recall
EVERY single troubleshooting step I've taken but please feel free to
suggest things. Past e-mailing this list I'm lost. Thanks for all of
your time, I eagerly await your response. Thank you very much!
Also this mount had no problems on a Sun SPARCstation 5 running 2.4
series Linux kernels running debian stable. Other Linux distributions
(RedHat I've had access to and Gentoo mount it fine as well but I
cannot find another 2.6 based system for the life of me!) Thanks again!

												-Tim