[Samba] having probelms with installation from source

Tony Whitmore tonywhitmore at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 15 18:47:19 GMT 2004

Sahibzada Junaid Noor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am having problems  with installing samba from source.
>
> i use these commands ./ configure
>                                    make
>                                    make install
>
> i am newbie and dont know why this is not working.
>
> can some one guide me about how to install softwares from source in linux specially samba.

OK, you are not using the correct commands to compile Samba from source.
Although these commands work for a lot of software, Samba is different.
You can read a simple guide to compiling Samba from source here:
http://www.tonywhitmore.co.uk/core/samba.html

For other software, try Linux From Scratch, or just reading the INSTALL
file in the tarball.

Cheers,

Tony