[Samba] Problem setting Group Permissions on Files

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Thu Apr 15 10:52:57 GMT 2004

Hi,

I run a samba-3.0.2a server as a simple file server in security=user
mode. I have the following problem with a specific share:

If I want to change the group permissions on a file (as a normal user
owning the file) from within w2k using the security tab settings the new
settings are ignored and instead the world/everyone settings are mapped
to the group settings. If I change the permissions for world they are
copied to the group settings too!

All the users have "users" as their primary group and I mapped this
group to the windows group "Users".

Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf
[global]
    log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
    guest user = nobody
    map to guest = bad user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    security = user
    max log size = 50

[data]
    nt acl support = yes
    writeable = yes
    public = no
    guest ok = no
    create mask = 0666
    force create mode = 0666
    path = /mnt/data
    security mask = 0666
    force security mode = 000

I'm running gentoo linux the share is on an xfs fs with acl enabled and
I build samba with acl support.
Does anyone know what's going wrong here?

thanx in advance
achim~