[Samba] Samba/Cracklib Documentation?

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Wed Apr 14 14:30:14 GMT 2004

I'm testing Samba 3.0.3pre2 and am particularly interested in the new
--with-cracklib support.  I see the configuration directive to enable cracklib
functionality in the changelog, but am curious if anyone has any additional
documentation.  The man pages, etc... appear not to be updated yet.

Is there any mechanism for 'tweaking' the password strenth rules, as there is
with pam_cracklib?  If not does anyone have a URL, etc..., on what cracklib
actually checks/requires?  The only documentation I've been able to find on
cracklib is pretty much the original 1997 Usenet post;  which isn't terribly
precise.  I'd like to explain to my test users the kind of criteria their new
passwords have to meet.

Adam Tauno Williams
Network & Systems Administrator
Morrison Industries