[Samba] Resolved? OS 10.3.3 client File saving problems

Karl Meisterheim kmeister at the-jci.org
Tue Apr 13 18:34:15 GMT 2004

Hello,

After doing a lot of research and having a consultant come out, we
tracked the problems down to two causes.

1) I was using ACL's on an ext3 partition and they were not being
honored.  Excel in particular, when saving deletes the file and
recreates it, but the permissions were never set correctly even though
the default ACL's and Mask were set up.  I'm not sure if this is a samba
issue or the mac cifs client, since I don't know enough to know what
each piece can and cannot control.

2) The Mac cifs client was keeping a lock on resource forks ( ._ files)
even after the files were closed.  The locks were only being released
when the mac users ejected the network drive.
An easy test case for this was to have two users logged in.  With user
A, open and save an excel spreadsheet and then close it.  With user B
open the same sheet, save it, and close it.  With user A, reopen the
same sheet and save it.  The Mac will get the dreaded pin wheel while
the samba logs show NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION followed by a bunch of
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE errors.

My thinking here is that excel deletes the file and then tries to
recreate it, but for some reason, the resource fork for the file is now
open twice, by user B and A, (even though B has closed the file) and
this causes the resave to fail.  Excel then saves it to a random file
name and gives an error.

So now for the fix:
I stumbled across DAVE, www.thursby.com
It's a replacement for Mac OS cifs client.  So far, it's working
beautifully.  Resource forks are not held open forever, file change
times are updated correctly...  I have it on all 12 OS X machines here
starting earlier today, so we'll see how it goes.

To all those other OS X people, good luck!

-km

--
Karl Meisterheim
The Journal of Clinical Investigation