[Samba] Can User Manager for Domains be used without logging in as root on Samba 3?

Brian J.Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Apr 6 17:01:14 GMT 2004

I have seen some posts (Hi John!) (for example:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1eFNE-38e-27%40gated-at.bofh.it) that
suggest that you need to log into a domain as root in order to use the usrmgr
(User Manager for Domains) utility with Samba 3.

However there seem to be others that suggest (that the Samba Howto Collection
just needs a bit of updating and) that one does not need to log in as root
simply a Domain Administrator (for example:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1pRip-1tU-11%40gated-at.bofh.it)

So I am wondering what the actual state of this subject is.

Is there anyway (through group mapping or otherwise) to give a (non-root) user
which is designated a Domain Administrator the ability to use the usrmgr to
manage accounts or does the user always have to log out of Windows and back on
as "root" to accomplish this?

Thanx,
b.