[Samba] NUA + MYSQL?

Malcolm Baldridge google at paypc.com
Tue Apr 13 02:12:50 GMT 2004

> Re: the release of Samba3 and NUA capabilities I have found this:
>
> <snip>
[...]
> Late in the
> development cycle, the team doing this work hit upon some obstacles that
> prevents this solution from being used.
> </snip>
>
> Can anyone tell me what sort of progress has been made in the NUA areas?
> Specifically I want something like "passdb backend = mysql_nua".

I would imagine the passwords would be the least of the problems.  I don't
know of any way you could completely do away with "user accounts" or at
least, entries in /etc/passwd, given that most UNIX systems lookup
passwd/NIS for UID/GID on file ownerships and whatnot.

You might have all "locked" passwords in /etc/shadow [or equiv], with
authentication for samba being all SQL driven, but at the end of the day,
the smbd needs some EUID/EGID's for the file permissions stuff.

I imagine there's quite a bit of funk to get through.

=MB=