[Samba] Initial samba + ldap howto

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Mon Apr 12 16:33:32 GMT 2004

Wim,

Thanks for this information . Later this week, I'm scheduled to attempt
installation of SAMBA+LDAP using the by Example book. I'll let you know
how it goes. They by Example books seems better than the How-To in terms
of practical information needed to get a server up and running. Only
problem with the by Example book is that it's a bit long. In addition,
it does the same thing every other Linux book does, that is it goes into
detail about too many approaches to doing things. When I searched for
the word Linux on Amazon, I came up with 3,735 books. I wish one of them
specifically outlined how to do what I want done, that is a book the
helps me configure a SBS (microsoft small business server) replacement.

I may be missing something, but in essence it would be a series of books:
Replacing SBS with Linux (second edition):
1. Download & install Fedora
2. Install LDAP and configure for use with SAMBA & postfix
3. Download & install Samba
4. Download & install postfix/courier/squirrelmail
5. Download & install ClamAV/Spam Assassin/TDMA
6. Download & install Apache
7. Keeping system up to date with YUM
8. Appendix 1 - Updating first edition of this book
Replacing linksys with Linux
1. Configuring netfilter
2. Configuring VPN - Server
3. Configuring VPN - Client
4. Download & install dansguardian.
5. Configure PPPOE

There could be different books for different distributions. Most people
reading (myself included) don't care about many of the decisions. For
example I don't care about Fedora vs SUSE vs Debian, I am going with
Fedora at this time because I wanted ACLs found in Kernel 2.6. I don't
care about Courier vs Dovecot. I do care about LDAP because this is the
holy grail of system administration, with LDAP, you can have a central
addressbook / accout store etc just like NWAdmin or Domain manager.

John

--
John Schmerold
Katy Computer Systems, Inc