[Samba] md5 fail on large file

Marco Berizzi pupilla at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 13:09:53 GMT 2004

Hello everybody.

I'm experimenting this problem with samba 3.0.2a and linux 2.4.25 with ReiserFS.
When I copy (put) a large file (5GB) from a Windows NT terminal server sp6a to the samba-linux box, the md5sum is different between the two file. Files size are identical.
I'm using this command to copy these files from windows to samba:

xcopy f:\ \\mimas\backup\exchange /e /c /h /r

I have also tried to delete the old files from the samba share, but nothing
change: I always get two different md5sum.
With smaller files (400MB) md5sum is identical.
When I transfer this large file with ftp (proftpd 1.2.9 on Linux), md5sum is ok.

These two systems are connected to a 3COM 100bit/s switch. No collision/no error are detected at linux side box. Samba doesn't log anything relevant. No kernel error. Nothing. Samba box is running Slackware 9.1 + kernel 2.4.25 + samba 3.0.2a compiled from sources.

Hints?

PS: Please CC me I'm not subscribed to this list.