[Samba] Multi-homed Samba PDC problem

M. D. Parker mike.parker at ga.com
Wed Apr 7 17:41:17 GMT 2004

The samba PDC is the only PDC for the given domain.

Maybe a picture:

	system A <----private network----> system B <-----> ... system N
		|	(possibly other system)	|				|
		|					|				|
		|					|				|
		|					|				|
		|		public network	|				|
		V					V				V

			WINS server on public network

Both system A and system B are in the same domain.  Only A is the Samba PDC.

so question is when I do not mention the private interface in the interfaces
statement things work OK.

However, when I activate the private interface on the PDC, it times out
requests
to the WINS server, does not apparently become the domain master browser
because
of this.  However access seems to work just fine otherwise from what I can
see.

Why does adding the private network to the samba configuration cause this
type of problem?

Mike