[Samba] domain member in Windows 2000 domain

Roman Hezely roman.hezely at pxpgroup.com
Wed Apr 7 08:16:15 GMT 2004

Hi, I would like to solve this (simply?) problem:
I want to act SUN Solaris samba server (3.0.2a) as domain member in Windows 2000 domain.
I made those steps described in documentation:
1. manual creation of Machine Trust Accounts (MTA)
2. in smb.conf:
-> security = domain
-> workgroup = muxo
-> password server = *
(I think I don't need add line for on-the-fly creation MTA, when it was done mannualy !?)
-> homes sections like this:
[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     browseable = yes
     writable = yes
     guest ok = yes
     valid users = %S
3. succesfully joining to domain PDC:
/usr/local/samba/bin/net join -S DOMPDC -U admin
4. restarting samba server
5. there are also some home directories on solaris server with domain-names-users

and I expected that domain users could see the solaris homes and read from there.

But the samba acts like this:
1. when domain user (not previously created in solaris /etc/passwd) tries to attempt to samba server from network client:
He gets the errors in log file:
[2004/04/07 09:52:53, 0] auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(1100)
  make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!
2. when domain user (previously also created in solaris /etc/passwd) tries to attempt to samba server from network client:
He can reach only his home folder.

How to solve the problem, or let me know the easy smb.conf to work like samba domain member.

Thanks

HRom