[Samba] winbind uid range missing or invalid

Porta, Thomas E TPORTA at tycoelectronics.com
Fri Apr 2 19:57:01 GMT 2004

Hello ... I am trying to run winbindd on my SuSE LINUX V8 system.  When I
start windbindd I eventually get the following message:

 'winbind uid range missing or invalid'

then winbindd ends.  I noticed that I am not the only person getting this
message.  When I search "google.com" for this message, many others are
getting this message.  However I have not found any answers explaining the
message and how to correct it..

Could someone either explain what this message is saying and how to fix it

I am using samba 2.2.5-SuSE.  The LINUX kernel is 2.4.19-3suse-SMP

I should also note that this LINUX is running on an IBM Mainframe computer.

Thomas E. Porta
 Mgr OS/390 Tech. Supt.
 TYCO Electronics Corporation
 Phone: (717) 810-2148