[Samba] Samba as remote file share

Adam Stanley samba at nethosters.com
Thu Apr 1 14:54:41 GMT 2004

Hello,

I have a client who is hoping to use Samba over the internet.  He hopes
to be able to setup a single mount point that can be used by employees
from various locations via their broadband internet connections.  The
clients will be a mixture of Linux, Windows 98, and Windows 2000/XP
machines.  I know that a solution like this would be possible if all of
the clients and the server were on the same LAN, however, I've not had
any luck attempting to deploy Samba over the internet.  Is this a
feasible solution with Samba or should I have him look elsewhere?  If
Samba will cut it does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for the
most secure way to implement a setup like this?  Thanks in advance for
any help...

Adam Stanley
Nethosters, Inc.