[Samba] smbd process

Brian Conway Brian.Conway at IngenicoFortronic.com
Thu Apr 1 14:46:34 GMT 2004

We are in the process of updating samba on our Solaris servers from (2.0.5)
to (3.0.2)
I have completed one host and all seems to working ok.
However I have noticed that for both versions of samba, as users map shares
the smbd process which starts can be either own by root or the users id.
This seems to be random.
Can anyone shed light as to what controls the owner of this process. This is
happening across all boxes on our site and both versions of samba.

Brian Conway