[Samba] Sharing a USB Printer

Edwin Humphries edwin at ironstone.com.au
Thu Apr 1 03:46:29 GMT 2004

Daniel Kasak wrote:

>>We're trying to share an Epson USB inkjet printer via Samba 3.0.2-7 on our new
>>Fedora server.
>>The share is set up OK, and can be seen and opened from Windows clients. However,
>>although the Fedora box can print to the Epson, the Windows boxes can't.
>>All other Samba shares, including a laser printer connected to the parallel port,
>>work fine.
>>Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?
>
>Yes.
>Yes I do.

>Perhaps you could provide some more details?
>
>--
>Daniel Kasak

Not sure specifically what information to send - I'm not even sure that it's a Samba
problem, as the print job never shows up on the samba logs.

Setting up the Epson printer (the same way we set up the laser) via the "add
printer" wizard works fine: the printer shows up on the network, and a printer icon
is created. However, running a test print does nothing: eventually the printer
driver shows a communication error message. This is despite the exact same method
for setting up the laser printer resulting in a stable network printer!

Edwin Humphries,
Ironstone Technology Pty Ltd
edwin at ironstone.com.au
www.ironstone.com.au