[Samba] Windows to Samba Print servers

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Sep 30 23:31:13 GMT 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 07:04:24PM -0400, Tim wrote:
> I suspect from everything that I've read that this may not be possible.
> However, I'd love to hear otherwise.
>
> Basically, we have a windows NT 4.0 domain with a pre-existing PDC and 4
> BDC's. Roughly 80 percent of the servers in the domain are windows 2000. We
> have about 1000 users we support in the domain.
>
> We're thinking about moving our print servers off of windows 2000 and onto
> linux/samba. Here's what we need to achieve:
>
> 1. Users must be able to add the printer to their windows NT/2000
> workstations with only local user permissions and have the drivers download
> automatically.
> 2. Users must be able to identify their print job in the print queue and be
> able to delete it.
>
> My question is this: Can we do this without having to make the samba server
> the PDC and can we do this without having to enter in all 1000 accounts on
> the linux server? (We really don't want to manage 2 user databases). Taking
> this a little further, it seems like we could set it up to update both user
> databases at the same time, but I'm still a little unclear on this? I read
> that Samba servers can't talk to BDC's and that makes me nervous.

Yes, you can do this by adding the Samba server into the domain and running
winbindd on it. You don't need a Samba PDC for this. This is what the HP
PSA product does (it's also running Samba on Linux). Samba servers can and
do talk to BDC's all the time. You need to set up the point-and-print on
the Samba servers.

Alternatively you could just buy the PSA (yes this is a commercial plug for
a product I've spent a couple of years on, sorry :-).

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-236253-64451.html

This has all this stuff already set up for you :-).

Jeremy.