[Samba] changing share name?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Sep 29 19:36:50 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, LeVA wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to change the share name of the [homes] section. Now
> smb.conf has the [homes] section configured, and when I list my shares
> with smbclient, it prints:
>
>          Sharename      Type      Comment
>          ---------      ----      -------
>          homes          Disk      Public folder
>
> Is is possible to change that "homes" to the name of the actual user, or
> anything that I type in smb.conf?

The [homes] entry is not a share, it is a meta-service. Meta-services
should be set to "browseable = no"

If your users are correctly configured and user 'joedoh' does the
following:

	smbclient -L 'mysambaserver' -Ujoedoh%secretpw

Then joedoh's home directory should be listed in the "Sharename" table.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org