[Samba] pdb_mysql question...

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Sep 27 16:55:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 05:54:56PM +0100, Luís Miguel Silva wrote about 'RE: [Samba] pdb_mysql question...':
> However..im getting another problem.
> I thought "smbpasswd -a user password" would create the user on the db...but it doesnt:

> root at auth /usr/local/samba/bin# ./smbpasswd -a user password
> Connecting to database server, host: localhost, user: samba, password: ambas, database: samba, port: 3306
> Failed initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user user.
> Failed to modify password entry for user user
> root at auth /usr/local/samba/bin#

> (on the mysql server i see this:)
> 030927 17:48:28      42 Connect     samba at localhost on samba
>                      42 Query       SELECT logon_time,logoff_time,kickoff_time,pass_last_set_time,pass_can_change_time,pass_must_change_time,username,domain,nt_username,nt_fullname,home_dir,dir_drive,logon_script,profile_path,acct_desc,workstations,unknown_str,munged_dial,user_sid,group_sid,lm_pw,nt_pw,NULL,acct_ctrl,unknown_3,logon_divs,hours_len,unknown_5,unknown_6 FROM user WHERE username = 'user'

> Which evidently tells me it is trying to GET the account before changing it!
It checks whether the account already exists. Oh, make sure there is a
unix account named 'user' before you add a Samba account with such a
name.

> Poking around the binaries i saw this new one:
> root at auth /usr/local/samba/bin# ./pdbedit -a user
> Server's Role (logon server) NOT ADVISED with domain-level security
> Connecting to database server, host: localhost, user: samba, password: ambas, database: samba, port: 3306
> Connecting to database server, host: localhost, user: samba, password: ambas, database: samba, port: 3306
> could not create account to add new user user
> root at auth /usr/local/samba/bin#

> and on the mysql server i see:
> 030927 17:50:11      45 Connect     samba at localhost on samba
>                      46 Connect     samba at localhost on samba

> It just connects and logs off!
Probably because there's no unix account for the user yet...

> How do i had a user/change its password?

> Is there any official howto on how to (sucessfully) use pdb_mysql???
Read the HOWTO collection from the tarball and/or read
the version generated out of CVS at http://samba.vernstok.nl/.

Jelmer
--
Jelmer Vernooij                                              <jelmer at samba.org>