TR : RE : [Samba] winbind and getent - fix ...

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Sat Sep 27 03:16:47 GMT 2003

gary ng wrote:

> However, to echo you, I see the same problem and I
> have tried everything (symbolink link, moving the file
> from /lib to /usr/lib and back etc.) but a simple
> 'getent passwd' command just don't give me the samba
> users and adding a new user with the same name in the
> samba name space does bark. So libnss_winbind is not
> completely ignored, just under some situation. I may
> need to browse the code to have some clue.

You may have already known this, but when I set this up I found that
it was absolutely mandatory that the name of the libnss_winbind module
be (exactly):

libnss_winbind.so.2

In my case, I have a symbolic link in /lib with this name pointing to
where I have Samba installed (which is under /opt). After running
ldconfig with this link in place, everything began working properly.
Without the ".2" suffix on the link name (or on the library name),
libnss_winbind never got called no matter what I did.