[Samba] split network into seperate networks

Andre de Koning andre at vippayroll.co.za
Thu Sep 25 14:25:44 GMT 2003

I've got a pretty large lan at the moment and we are moving into a new
office building next week.
I'm looking at splitting the lan into seperate networks.  At this stage I
have one samba DC that does netlogon, roaming profiles etc for all clients.

I'm not using LDAP with samba and won't be able to too soon as the change
would be major.  I have a ldap server used for qmail / intranet etc. but the
usernames, passwords etc. all differ on there and I would have to go through
them all manually to fix up (I know ldap would probably be helpfull with
what i want to do)

How would I go about splitting the network into different subnets (I've
hard-wired the network cables in the new building so each department is a
physically different network) and having one samba server on each LAN that
would also server as a router to the other networks?  I would like to stay
with one domain but have maybe each server be the DC for the local subnet
(maybe a BDC?), contain the users' home directories, roaming profiles, logon
scripts etc.  I'm currently using a windows wins server and am also faced
with the problem of which interface/ip on which server to add to wins and
for which server to create a wins entry, designating it as the domain
controller etc.  Should I rather have a wins server in each subnet?  How
does samba fare in this role?  If I make each samba server a wins server,
how does it know on which interface to operate - each server has one
interface that connecets to a central backbone network and obviously I don't
want ALL my servers to be a wins on that subnet.

subnet1 ------- subnet1 server ---------- backbone network --------------
subnet2 server ------------- subnet 2

All one domain
About 17 of the subnets connecting to backbone network through their linux
server / router
Need to be able to browse accross subnets
users on subnet1 sometimes need to access "subnet 2 server" etc.
Using roaming profiles
Using samba 2.2.8a (2.2.5 on some but planning on upgrading) on redhat linux
(from 7.1 to 9.0) servers.

Any ideas anybody?
André de Koning
IT Manager