[Samba] smbmount double start - hangs process

Rasmussen, Michael Michael.Rasmussen at columbiamanagement.com
Wed Sep 24 18:00:45 GMT 2003

Hello,

After an upgrade to RedHat 9 and the supplied
samba-[|commoan-|client-]2.2.7a-8.9.0 rpms we've discovered a problem with
smbmount.

It sometimes invokes itself twice and then hangs.

Sample script to test:

   #!/usr/bin/perl
   # testing Samba problem
   print "$$\n";

   `/usr/bin/smbmount //cmc-apps/settlements ./t-samba -o
credentials=/home/mrasmuss/mlrcred,workgroup=FSIUS &`;
   print "$? mount \n";

   `/usr/bin/smbumount ./t-samba &`;
   print "$? presumed good umount \n";

On the first invocation everything works fine.  On the second invocation the
smbmount command is seemingly double called as shown by ps:

   19081 pts/7    S      0:00 /usr/bin/perl ./tpl
   19085 pts/7    S      0:00 /usr/bin/smbmount //cmc-apps/settlements
./t-samba -o credentials /home/mrasmuss/mlrcred workgroup FSIUS
   19086 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/smbmount //cmc-apps/settlements
./t-samba -o credentials /home/mrasmuss/mlrcred workgroup FSIUS

If the script and mounts are all killed I can successfully re-run the script
- after an as yet to be determined timeout time.

Any insights as to what would cause this behavior?

--
  Michael Rasmussen, Infrastructure Engineer
  Columbia Management Company, Portland, Oregon