[Samba] Samba upgrade on dedrat linux

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Sep 23 18:29:23 GMT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Andre de Koning wrote:

> I'm running samba 2.2.5 on a redhat 9.0 server.  I'm planning on upgrading
> it to 2.2.8a tomorrow.
>
> My questions are thus:
> 1) I has hassles before when doing this on another redhat box because samba
> was installed with redhat's own rpm's which install in different locations.
> Would it be OK to do rpm --erase for all the redhat packages (samba, common,
> client, swat, redhat-config-samba) and then just do a normal rpm -i with the
> samba-2.2.8a package from the samba d/l server?  I made the mistake of doing
> rpm -Uvh last time which of course told me it was not installed so I
> did --force etc.  BIG mess.

You really should build the Red Hat packages using the tools we provide in
the ~samba/packaging directory. It will ensure that your file locations
will match the Red Hat native package file locations.

> 2) What do I need to back up?  smb.conf, smbpasswd, what else?  This is a
> seperate server at a remote branch so it's not using ldap yet.  Any .tdb or
> .SID files I need to backup?

If you install the Samba-Team provided RPMs your configuration should be
preserved. None the less, it is ALWAYS a good idea to backup config files.

Save all tdb files as well as your smb.conf.

> 3) How do I backup the SID (on old versions it was just MACHINE.SID but I
> believe you do this via smbpasswd now)?  And how would I restore it again
> after reinstalling?

Read the man page for smbpasswd (for samba-2.2.x) or the man page for
'net' (for Samba-3.0.0).

> 4) Would my smb.conf still work without changes?

Should do.

> It's not a DC, just a member server but I've got a script that copies
> passwd, group, shadow, gshadow and smbpasswd accross from their pdc every
> 30min - would this still be ok?
> Any other pointers would be appreciated.

If you plan to update to Samba-3.0.0 (good idea), read the
Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf that shipped as part of samba-3.0.0RC4.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org