[Samba] Samba upgrade on dedrat linux

Andre de Koning andre at vippayroll.co.za
Tue Sep 23 11:37:40 GMT 2003

I'm running samba 2.2.5 on a redhat 9.0 server.  I'm planning on upgrading
it to 2.2.8a tomorrow.

My questions are thus:
1) I has hassles before when doing this on another redhat box because samba
was installed with redhat's own rpm's which install in different locations.
Would it be OK to do rpm --erase for all the redhat packages (samba, common,
client, swat, redhat-config-samba) and then just do a normal rpm -i with the
samba-2.2.8a package from the samba d/l server?  I made the mistake of doing
rpm -Uvh last time which of course told me it was not installed so I
did --force etc.  BIG mess.
2) What do I need to back up?  smb.conf, smbpasswd, what else?  This is a
seperate server at a remote branch so it's not using ldap yet.  Any .tdb or
.SID files I need to backup?
3) How do I backup the SID (on old versions it was just MACHINE.SID but I
believe you do this via smbpasswd now)?  And how would I restore it again
after reinstalling?
4) Would my smb.conf still work without changes?

It's not a DC, just a member server but I've got a script that copies
passwd, group, shadow, gshadow and smbpasswd accross from their pdc every
30min - would this still be ok?
Any other pointers would be appreciated.
André de Koning
IT Manager (Chief computer mechanic)
Softline VIP Payroll
Tel: +27 12 420 7000