[Samba] Error on joining domain - 'System computer account in its primary domain missing'

Christopher Saul chris at tech-access.com
Mon Sep 22 10:58:21 GMT 2003

I'm running Samba 2.2.8a as a PDC on Red Hat 8, connecting to a Sun ONE
Directory Server on a separate Sun box.

Logging in locally allows me to access the appropriate shares and
authenticate against the LDAP directory.  Accessing via smbclient works
fine.

I'm able to get my Windows 2000 client to join the domain.  After giving
the root password there's a wait of around 45 serconds and then the
'welcome to the domain' box pops up.

After rebooting however, attempting to login as a user gives the error -

'The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's
computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password in
that account is incorrect'

The system does have an account, which is proven by the fact that shares
can be accessed when logged in locally to the Windows client.

Based on stuff found on Google I've followed various steps listed below,
but nothing seems to work.

  -- I've made the registry changes which appear to be recommended for
XP and sometimes for W2K.  No change.  (Are they req'd for Win2K)

-- Removed the W2K client from the directory, deleted that client
machine account, re-added the W2K client to LDAP, rejoining the W2K
client to the domain.  Doesn't make any difference.

-- Fiddled around with various things I can think of.

I did have the W2K client happily connecting and authenticating to a
different Samba PDC machine that was on the same network and that worked
fine.  That PDC was not using an LDAP backend.

If anyone can suggest anything....

Regards

Chris
--