[Samba] Transparent WINS hostname resolution?

ken at flyingtoasters.net ken at flyingtoasters.net
Fri Sep 19 20:39:38 GMT 2003

Hi, all.  I've always assumed that there's a way to do transparent
WINS-based hostname resolution, but I'm durned if I can figure out how.
In other words, I imagine that you could just add another entry to
/etc/resolv.conf (eg., "hosts:   files dns wins") that would allow me to
ping foo
and have it attempt to resolve through each in turn.  Does this exist, and
I've just been missing it?  Sure, I can do "nmblookup foo", but that's a
bit more awkward...  [Hmmm.  Just did some Googling, and, indeed, found a
sample resolv.conf with a wins entry -- but when I tried it, from a
machine that does nmblookup with no problems, it failed.  I dunno...]

Thanks,

Ken D'Ambrosio
Sr. SysAdmin,
Xanoptix, Inc.