[Samba] 2.2.8a newbie path problem

Adam Bankin adambankin at charanga.com
Thu Sep 18 17:03:42 GMT 2003

Hi

I'm presently installing 2.2.8a on Mandrake 9.1

I'm a newbie to Linux as well as Samba, so it's been fun...

When I first installed Linux I installed Samba from the discs (2.2.7a), but
on reading up on the subject it became clear that I should give installing
the source a go.

My problem is this - I don't think I have rerouted all of the paths to
usr/local/samba from what they were installed by Mandrake

I've been following the O'Reilly guide which is online here

http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/docs/using_samba/ch02.html

and I got to this part "Setting Search Paths", about halfway down, when
trouble struck. It says that the packages paths must be "added to your
shell's PATH environment variable. This environment variable is usually set
in one or more of the shell's startup files, which in the case of bash are
/etc/profile (systemwide) and the .bash_profile and .bashrc files in each
user's home directory. "

Presently I'm logged in as root and the shell is bash. So I'm to edit the
/etc/profile file correct? My /etc/profile file looks like this

# /etc/profile -*- Mode: shell-script -*-
# (c) MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel at mandrakesoft.com>

loginsh=1

# Users generally won't see annoyng core files
[ "$UID" = "0" ] && ulimit -S -c 1000000 > /dev/null 2>&1

if ! echo ${PATH} |grep -q /usr/X11R6/bin ; then
    PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
fi

if [ "$UID" -ge 500 ] && ! echo ${PATH} |grep -q /usr/games ; then
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/games
fi

umask 022

USER=`id -un`
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
HISTSIZE=1000

if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" ]; then
    INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
fi

# some old programs still use it (eg: "man"), and it is also
# required for level1 compliance for LI18NUX2000
NLSPATH=/usr/share/locale/%l/%N

export PATH PS1 USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME INPUTRC NLSPATH
export HISTCONTROL HISTSIZE

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
    if [ -x $i ]; then
        . $i
    fi
done

unset I

Do I just type it in like this...

if [ "$UID" -ge 500 ] && ! echo ${PATH} |grep -q /usr/games ; then
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/games
fi

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/samba/bin

No???????

I've also created a samba.sh file in /etc/profile.d directory to be picked
up by the /etc/bashrc file.

It's very simple and looks like this

#!/bin/sh
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/samba/bin
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/usr/local/samba/bin

If I tell testparm to check my smb.conf like this

# testparm smb.conf 2>&1 | tee testparm.log

it says

Load smb config files from smb.conf
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "smb.conf":
    No such file or directory
Error loading services.

If I tell testparm to check my smb.conf like this

# testparm /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf 2>&1 | tee testparm.usr.log

it says

Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[test]"
Loaded services file OK.
Invalid combination of parameters for service test. Level II oplocks can
only be set if oplocks are also set.

Which I do and it points to a number of /etc and /var paths. For example

code page directory = /var/lib/samba/codepages
smb password file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
server string = Samba 2.2.7a

Any thoughts?

Adam Bankin
Charanga Ltd