[Samba] Samba 3 as PDC with LDAP as passwd backend

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 09:35:55 GMT 2003

People said one minor difference in smb.conf can
result in completely different result and now I
believe it. The reason that it is wrong is that I
don't have 'domain logons = yes' which continue to
make samba thinks it is a stand alone server, not a
PDC/BDC. After that entry, things is getting better.
The LDAP entries are correct, and wbinfo -u gives me :

EXAMPLE\testing

which is the user I created.

However, 'net getlocalsid' and 'net getlocalsid
example' still both gives me the same result :

woody:/etc/samba# net getlocalsid
SID for domain WOODY is:
S-1-5-21-3032950689-949544758-3596382992
woody:/etc/samba# net getlocalsid example
SID for domain example is:
S-1-5-21-3032950689-949544758-3596382992
woody:/etc/samba#

Don't know if it should be the case.

As for the UNIX uid/gid mapping, I am wondering if it
is possible to just use the same sambaSamAccount(and
add posixAccount objectClass) and add the uid/gid
mapping for unix there. I have my libnss_ldap setup
properly already(that is, I don't need any local entry
in passwd or group file) but I don't quite understand
how SAMBA works yet.

--- jean-marc pouchoulon