[Samba] Samba 3 as PDC with LDAP as passwd backend

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 08:19:22 GMT 2003

Thanks, just found that out that 'pdbedit -a' would
create this entry when I add the first user.

However, I have another problem. I have setup the
machine as a PDC with as :

workgroup = example
netbios name = woody
security = user
domain master = yes

So the domain I believe should be 'example' and the
server name would be 'woody'. But pdbedit grab 'woody'
as the domain name. What have gone wrong ? My guess is
that the default installation(which debian setup) set
it as 'security = share' which make it thinks that
this is a stand alone server so domain should be equal
to server but even I have changed it back to domain
model, I don't know how to change the content of
secret.tdb. Or am I misunderstand something ?

net getlocalsid gives :

SID for domain WOODY is:
S-1-5-21-3032950689-949544758-3596382992

and I have restarted the server a number of times.

BTW, is it true that if I use 'pdbedit + the LDAP
backend', I don't need smbpasswd for account
management(and I don't need to create local unix
accounts?) and probably that I don't even need pdbedit
other than the initial setup as I can use the NT
frondend ?

Sorry for the newbie questions as I just started my
course on samba.

gary

PS. I am doing a reply-all to this mail which means it
would go to the list as well. If this is not the
correct way for continuing the conversation, please
let me know.

PS2. I would suggest whoever writing the howto to
expand a bit on the LDAP part as it would be a bit
confusing

--- jean-marc pouchoulon