[Samba] Multiple PDCs, Single Domain

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 17 19:08:43 GMT 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:28:30AM -0500, Matt Schillinger wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 15:44, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> > You're trying to do it backwards. You want one PDC and multiple BDC's,
> > not the other way around. Take the machines that are slated for PDC use
> > and just use them as BDC's instead. You would do the same thing with
> > Windows servers, one PDC in the main building and a BDC at each remote
> > site.
> >
> I understand what the standard would be, but the reason that I'm trying
> 'backwards' is that I want to keep authentication traffic off of the T-1
> connections that are used for internet/interbuilding traffic.

In theory using BDCs should help with that. A machine needing
authentication should just look for any server advertising itself as
being able to handle logins. I'm a little fuzzy on the internals of how
Windows/Samba does that, but BDCs do handle domain logins, not just
failover.

--
Michael Heironimus