[Samba] Roaming Profiles not updating.

Andre de Koning andre at vippayroll.co.za
Tue Sep 16 06:38:42 GMT 2003

I upgraded to 2.2.8a a week ago and all hell broke loose with my roaming
profiles.

What I eventually found I had to do to get them them working again was (some
of this is probably overkill as I was dumb enough not to save my server's
SID before upgrading):

1) Load sp3 on all my w2k machines.
2) remove them from the domain and re-join1
3) make sure them have administrative right to their own pc's (for the users
on terminal server I had to re-create their profiles?!)
4) If you have the profile saved on your dc (if you don't, in windows, go to
profiles and use the copy function to copy to your server's profile dir,
then delete it there), delete the c:\doc and...\user dir in windows and log
in again so it is re-copied to the client.
5) make sure the profile is owned by the user and that he's got correct
permissions to the profile share.

M$'s roaming profiles on w2k/xp seem pretty buggy to me (or is samba the
problem, i dont know?) so I would avoid it at all cost.  I'm using it myself
on about 500 clients and am kicking myself for doing this every day!

Andre