[Samba] Problem with Windows XP clients

groovyguy at brainslide.com groovyguy at brainslide.com
Mon Sep 15 17:46:42 GMT 2003

I'm having problems with Windows XP clients losing connections to the
Samba server and also, connecting very slowly.
Getting the following error in the logs:

[2003/09/05 08:47:02, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
  read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer

This error is only generated by the Windows XP machines.  The Windows 98
boxen work fine.

Here's the details of my configuration:

Novell Netware network.  Netware server is main file server / Samba is
used for certain data by only some members of the network.  Below is my
config file.  Any thoughts?

smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = COOK ROBERTS
        netbios name = AS2
        server string = Samba Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        guest account =

[Oracle]
        path = /home/oracle
        valid users =
cherie,devinb,admin,mshepard,equser,hjg,dianew,accounting
        force user = oracle
        read only = No

[Equinox]
        path = /home/oracle/equinox
        write list = katherine,cherie,dianew,janice,hjg,sai,accounting
        force user = oracle

[Bills]
        path = /home/oracle/equinox/Bills
        force user = oracle