[Samba] Re: samba-3.0.0rc4 && acl-support

Christopher Odenbach odenbach at hni.upb.de
Tue Sep 16 06:31:39 GMT 2003

Hi,

> I´m currently testing samba-3.0.0rc4 as a pdc with acl-support.
>
> The box runs with debian-linux and a xfs-enabled 2.4.22-kernel.
>
> I have defined a share which is located on a xfs-partition.
> (changing acls with setfacl works well)
>
> I activated the flag : nt acl support = yes
>
> If I now try to change acls, i can open the win2k-acl-dialoge -
> but changes are not accepted by a "permission denied" message.
>
> Whats wrong ?
>
> Where can i get addtional informations about this ?

I don't know about samba 3, but in samba 2.2.x acl support was an option
to be set at configure time (before compiling).

The smb.conf option "nt acl support" only maps the ordinary unix
permissions to acl-like entries:

     nt acl support (S)
          This boolean parameter controls  whether  smbd(8)  will
          attempt  to map UNIX permissions into Windows NT access
          control lists.  This parameter was  formally  a  global
          parameter in releases prior to 2.2.2.

          Default: nt acl support = yes

So you normally only get three entries: one for the user, one for the
group, one for everybody.

Christopher

    Dipl.-Ing. Christopher Odenbach
    HNI Rechnerbetrieb