[Samba] Multiple PDCs, Single Domain

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 20:44:28 GMT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:34:22AM -0500, Matt Schillinger wrote:
> > I have to admit that I don't see why you can't live live one PDC and X
> > BDCs. You would have construct your LDAP servers this way anyway. If a
> > PDC goes down (or the connection breaks) the BDC would still be able
> > process logons on his own.
> >
> The only Problem here is resources. The plan is that there are already
> machines that can be used as PDC, one per building. However, there isn't
> budget for a BDC per building, so the hope was to have a single BDC at
> the main building.. I can see that this would be difficult, particularly
> if ports 137-139 were blocked at T1 Router.

You're trying to do it backwards. You want one PDC and multiple BDC's,
not the other way around. Take the machines that are slated for PDC use
and just use them as BDC's instead. You would do the same thing with
Windows servers, one PDC in the main building and a BDC at each remote
site.

To do what I think you want, you probably want a central LDAP server and
Samba PDC in your main building. In each remote building run a slave
LDAP server replicating from the main one and a Samba BDC. Look at
chapter 6 of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection document, it has a pretty
thorough description of how all this works.

--
Michael Heironimus