[Samba] User permissions on samba shared directories

Hemond, Steve SHEMOND at SMURFIT.com
Mon Sep 15 17:03:06 GMT 2003

Hi everybody,

I have successfully installed and configured Samba on my Aix box. I have setup domain security and mounted the machiine on the domain. I added a [homes] section and now everybody logging to their Windows 2000 workstations have access to their Aix home directory, what is great!

However, I have noticed by checking the home directory security for my user that there is THREE users | groups allowed :

AIXHOST\user - Full control
AIXHOST\staff - Read & Execute
AIXHOST\everybody - Read & Execute

The everybody user (i'm not sure about its right name in english, french = 'Tout le monde') is unwanted there, since I don't want other users map my home directory. If I delete that user permission, everything would run fine, but HOW?

Is there any way I could give certain (winnt) acces permission to Aix directory in smb.conf? I want the security be checked by my windows 2000 server pdc only. There is no need for password sync whatsoever.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Hémond
Programmeur Analyste / Analyst Programmer
Smurfit-Stone, Ressources Forestières
La Tuque, P.Q.
Tel.: (819) 676-8100 X2833
mailto:shemond at smurfit.com