[Samba] Samba 2.2.8a & Cups 1.1.17 - point'n'print fails

Pauli Borodulin pauli.borodulin at uta.fi
Sat Sep 13 00:28:27 GMT 2003

Hello,

I just can't get point'n'print working correctly. Every time I double
click printer, Windows (2k, NT) fails to install the drivers from print$
-share. I'm trying to use a generic postscript driver provided with Cups
(modified MS Postscript driver). Linux distribution in use is Redhat.

I have first set Cups working and printed test page with it - no
problems. Then I added required shares and settings to Samba for
printing. I used smbclient and rpcclient (rpcclient version 3.0.0rc3
because 2.2.x -version is buggy) to manually install the needed driver
files for the printer and tested installation with commands provided in
Samba 3.0 howto - everything seems to be correct. I'm also able to print
from clients if I install local driver by hand.

When I open properties for printer in w2k, Windows reports that "Device
settings cannot be displayed. The driver for the specified printer is
not installed. Only spooler properties will be displayed. Do you want to
install the driver now?". I can see the name of the driver in Advanced -tab.

If I open 'Server Properties' from Printers -window, I can see that the
driver has actually been installed. Version is reported to be "Windows
NT 4.0 or 2000". I can also see the properties for the driver and it
lists all required files (cups.hlp, cupsui.dll, cupsdrvr.dll and
ppd-file for the printer). I discovered this while trying different
Samba / Cups -combinations.

I get next line quite often when trying with combination Samba 3.0.0rc3
& Cups 1.1.19 when trying to access the printer, but I'm not sure how
it's related -- increasing the log level made it disappear if I recall
correctly.

[2003/09/13 03:19:24, 0] lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy_fn(573)
   ERROR: NULL dest in safe_strcpy

Any ideas, hints, suggestions etc. are welcome. :-)

Regards,
--
Pauli Borodulin <pauli.borodulin at uta.fi>