[Samba] Wierd problem with file sharing over internet.

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Thu Sep 11 17:15:54 GMT 2003

I've set up a CIPE VPN, between my notebook computer and my Linux based
firewall.  While the VPN generally works well, I've noticed a strange
problem with file sharing from the local network to the notebook.  I set
up the VPN, with the idea of accessing my systems at home via a dial up
ISP, to my home network via cable modem.  The VPN works well for most
protocols, such as telnet, ssh, ftp, X etc.  However, when I try to
access files using Samba, about 12 packets are exchanged and then the
session stops.  A similar problem occurs with NFS.  What makes the
situation more perplexing, is that if I connect directly to my firewall
or via WiFi, Samba and NFS work fine.  In all cases, the VPN enters my
firewall via eth0.  This seems to imply that the problem may be due to
the extreme speed difference between the dial up access and my 100 Mb
lan.  If the problem were due to the firewall or VPN, it should be
consistent, no matter what the connection speed.  I'm using Red Hat 7.3
on all systems.  The problem also occurs, when trying to access files on
my OS/2 system.  Also, when I try to access files on my notebook
(connected via dialup), from my local lan, every is also fine, so the
problem appears to be asymetrical.

Any ideas?

btw, I can provide ethereal or tcpdump records of some attempts.

tnx jk