[Samba] Problem using smbmount

Thomas Williams tlw1mac at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 11 01:11:07 GMT 2003

I have a configuration where I'm using Mandrake 9.1 and I have another
computer on a very small network that is running Windows ME. The windows
machine is (I think) set up to allow sharing of the 'My Documents' folder and
its referred to as 'MYDOCUEMENTS'. I've tried to connect the Linux machine to
that folder with no success. I get bad password. On the last attempt I was
using:
smbmount //<ME machine name>/MYDOCUMENTS /mnt/MYDOCUMENTS -o
credentials=<credential file>,ip=192.168.0.3,rw

I saw something in the documentation that mentioned something about there
being a bug in the use of password and that's the reason for the credential
file. I tried setting up a username and password for the Linux machine on the
ME that didn't work. I tried using the username and the password associated
with that folder, that didn't work. Where am I going wrong?

Tom Williams