[Samba] Help using multiple file servers

Robert Rati Robert.Rati at motorola.com
Wed Sep 10 22:02:36 GMT 2003

I'm not sure this will solve the problem I am looking at.  I can see an
LDAP server for authentication (although I currently don't have one
setup and would prefer not to have to set one up), but how does an LDAP
server help with the home directory and profile serving?  If a user logs
onto machine A which is on subnet A, then samba server A would
authenticate against the LDAP server and serve the home dir and profile.
  What happens if the same user logs onto machine B which is on subnet
B?  The samba server B would authenticate with the LDAP server, but
would the user's home directory and profile be served from server A?
Will the LDAP solution you suggest provide this ability?

Ideally, I'd like all the users to be authenticated through one samba
server (let's say server A), and the home directories and profiles for
those users to be served from the authenticating server (server A) or an
alternate samba server (server B).

Rob