[Samba] Opening files issue.

hans at sbsfor.com hans at sbsfor.com
Wed Sep 10 21:17:49 GMT 2003

Hi all.

I've looked, and I do recall a posting from earlier addressing this, but I
can't get the right combo of key-words to google up the solution.  If I open
a file (say a .doc) from windows explorer, the program launches and that
file loads quickly.  If I use the open dialogue from the application, the
file loads slowly.  Looking in performnce monitor I see that if I load the
file from explorer, there is a quick exchange of received bytes from the
samba server, and nearly none sent.  If I open from the open dialogue, I see
an almost equal amount of sent and received bytes.  I've seen this behaviour
before in all circumstances if I've set "veto oplocks" for the file type.

Using Mandrake 9.1
Samba 2.2.7a (the mandrake install)
Win2000SP4
and WINXP sp1