[Samba] Samba and CUPS Config Issue

Jason D. Lee jason.lee at hobbylobby.com
Tue Sep 9 15:22:07 GMT 2003

We are trying to migrate from Samba/LPRng to Samba/CUPS and have hit some
snags.  We're using the Samba box as a print server for our corporate
network, and have a variety of Windows versions on the network.  The problem
we're having is with our Windows 95 clients.  Win95 uses the printer comment
when it maps to the printer on the server.  However, when we connect to a
printer, we no longer see the printer comment.  That is to say, if we browse
the printers available on the box, we'll see print ISLJ4100 with the comment
"I/S Printer" but when we connect to it, the printer shows up in our
Printers control panel with no comment.  This works fine on our Win2K boxes,
but is a show stopper for our Win9x boxes.  We're running Samba 3.0 RC2 and
CUPS 1.1.19.  Any ideas where things are breaking down?  Thanks a lot!

--
Jason Lee - Programmer
Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.