[Samba] Save read only using MS world

Simon Oexl simon at ccard.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 19:35:10 GMT 2003

Dear Sirs,

I like to ask you for some help. I am fairly new to samba so I do not know
if my intention will work.

I like to set up a directory where I can save new documents only. Old
documents should be read only. This will prevent from accidental deletion
and overwriting.

I configured "set mask" to 0555 as this will generate the read only
attribute on Windows. This works fine when I create a text file with an
editor. But when I try to save a word document it will not. Word creates
some temporary file ~xxx.txt and when I try to save with the proper file
name I get an error message. "Disk Full".

Could you please give me a clue what I could do to get this working with
Word?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Simon Oexl