[Samba] pam_winbind verses pam_krb5

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 6 11:09:12 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 19:49, C.Lee Taylor wrote:
> Greetings ...
>
>     Have a question, was is the advantages of use pam_winbind verses
> pam_krb5 for Samba user authentaction?
>
>     I mean, if I point my Linux box Kerberos to a Win2003 AD server, I
> am able to authenticate my users out of AD, but at the moment still
> having problems with winbind and nsswitch.
>
>     Is there an advantage to using pam_winbind instead of pam_krb5?

The main one is that pam_winbind should be harder to spoof the server
for.  Particularly with Samba 3.0, and 'client schannel = yes' set.

But with the work being done to export a 'normal' kerberos keytab, this
should again become a matter of 'how do you want to run your system'.
(Because then you can tell pam_krb5 to check the tickets validity for
you).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org