[Samba] Any way to do Linux User home directories via Samba

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 4 22:24:18 GMT 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 09:02:15AM +1200, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Jason Joines wrote on Friday, 5 September 2003 7:02 a.m.:
> >    All of our user authentication is done via LDAP.  We have an all
> > Linux backend and tons of windows desktops.  We've just started
> > getting a few people to move to Linux on the desktop.  Is there any
> > way that I can have their home directory automatically mounted via
> > Samba when they log in?
>
> Well, to save resources you should probably just mount a share on
> startup and then set each user's home directory to a directory in that
> mount location. Otherwise, you'll have a mount for each active user.

That's not a good idea.  If you did it that way, all users on the
desktop would have the same permissions, to each others home
directory.

What you probably want for a setup like this is to a NFS mount.  If
your heart is set on using SMB, however, it can be done.  I don't have
a howto immediately at hand. :(