[Samba] can't change "client use lanman auth"?

Larry Hunter Larry.Hunter at uchsc.edu
Thu Sep 4 21:16:53 GMT 2003

Dear Samba-istas,

Thanks for your work on a remarkable system.  I'm having a problem
dealing with a very simple system that I can't seem to figure out.

I have a disk being shared from a Windows ME machine (I know, but I
can't change that part) that I want to mount on various linux
machines.   I have a redhat 7.3 system that uses smbmount "Version
2.2.7-security-rollup-fix" which works fine.  When I try to mount the
share, it warns about "Called name not present", but then prompts for
a password (the windows machine has "share" security, not user), and
the share mounts just fine.

Trying the same thing on my debian unstable system using smbmount
"Version 3.0.0beta2+3.0.0rc1-1 for Debian" I get the same warning, but
when I give the password, it reports

 Server requested LANMAN password but 'client use lanman auth' is disabled
 6436: tree connect failed: SUCCESS - 0
 SMB connection failed

So, reading the documentation, it looks as if I ought to put 'lanman
auth = yes' in the globals section of my smb.conf.  I do this, and
then run testparm, and a strange thing happens.  It now reports a
'lanman auth' value, but it is 'no'!  See the smb.conf and testparm
results below.

The documentation doesn't say much about this, and Googling both the
web and relevant usenet groups didn't turn up anything about this
problem.  Any ideas as to (a) what might be wrong, and (b) a
workaround?

I'd be glad to provide more information if I left out anything
important.

Thanks very much!

Larry.hunter at uchsc.edu

  basement:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
  # Global parameters
  [global]
	  workgroup = 180GLENCOE
	  domain master = no
	  lanman auth = yes
	  hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 216.241.42.72 216.241.42.73 216.241.42.74
	  hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

  [ipc$]
	  path = /opt
	  writeable = yes
	  guest ok = yes

  [opt]
	  path = /opt
	  writeable = yes
	  guest ok = yes

  basement:~# testparm
  Processing section "[ipc$]"
  Processing section "[opt]"
  Loaded services file OK.
  Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

  # Global parameters
  [global]
	  workgroup = 180GLENCOE
	  client lanman auth = No
	  client plaintext auth = No
	  domain master = No
	  hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 216.241.42.72, 216.241.42.73, 216.241.42.74
	  hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

  [ipc$]
	  path = /opt
	  read only = No
	  guest ok = Yes

  [opt]
	  path = /opt
	  read only = No
	  guest ok = Yes
  basement:~#

basement:~# smbmount //pc/music /mnt/music
Password:
Server requested LANMAN password but 'client use lanman auth' is disabled
6529: tree connect failed: SUCCESS - 0
SMB connection failed
basement:~#