[Samba] Automatic selection pf printers

WIm Bakker wim at unetix.nl
Wed Sep 3 14:08:59 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 14:38, Richard Heggs wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> We have a large (6500 desktops) network distributed over a few dozen
> sites.  The clients are (almost) all Windows95 and WinXP.  We currently
> use Netware as our network operating system, and are looking at the
> possibility of moving to (Samba on) Linux to provide file and print
> services.
>
> One of the nice things about Novell NDS is that you can specify
> printers that are available to certain PCs regardless of who logs into
> them (no point in a user logging in at a remote site and being attached
> to printers back in his office, several miles away).  In other words,
> printers are attached to PCs, whereas drive-mappings are attached to
> users.
>
> I can see how to use Samba to control access to directories, but I
> can't see an obvious way to manage the printers.  Is it possible to do
> this, other than by setting up each desktop by hand?
>
> Suggestions to RTFM (with a pointer to the relevant part of TFM) would
> be much appreciated. :)
>
> Thanks,
> --
See :
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win2000/Q_20630192.html
You could make a logonscript for machines , like
logon script = %m.bat
which defines the printers to use for the machine
from which is called a %U.bat for user specific settings.
See allso http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6000/rh6065.htm
for a nifty utility (free) to add printers from a script.
This exec could reside allso on the server from which it is
called by the machine login script to add the printers with
the appropriate options.

WB

--
UnetIX Linux Solutions BV