[Samba] Automatic selection pf printers

Richard Heggs richard.heggs at nottinghamcity.gov.uk
Wed Sep 3 12:38:29 GMT 2003

Hi List,

We have a large (6500 desktops) network distributed over a few dozen
sites.  The clients are (almost) all Windows95 and WinXP.  We currently
use Netware as our network operating system, and are looking at the
possibility of moving to (Samba on) Linux to provide file and print
services.

One of the nice things about Novell NDS is that you can specify
printers that are available to certain PCs regardless of who logs into
them (no point in a user logging in at a remote site and being attached
to printers back in his office, several miles away).  In other words,
printers are attached to PCs, whereas drive-mappings are attached to
users.

I can see how to use Samba to control access to directories, but I
can't see an obvious way to manage the printers.  Is it possible to do
this, other than by setting up each desktop by hand?

Suggestions to RTFM (with a pointer to the relevant part of TFM) would
be much appreciated. :)

Thanks,
--
Richard Heggs
Systems Analyst

views which are not the views of Nottingham City Council unless specifically
stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system,
do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that Nottingham City
Council monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will
signify your consent to this.