[Samba] Samba Winbind with Windows 2003 server

Andy Woo anwo at verde.com
Wed Sep 3 08:57:17 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have problem when I install a samba (2.2.7a-8.9.0 rpm) with winbind
service under Redhat Linux 9.0 which using 2.4.20-8smp. I use swat to
generate the below configuration file. I also try to make it myself.
Here is swat generated file. I also add the Netbios name in the lmhosts
file and add winbind in the nisswitch.conf file.

Smb.conf:

[global]

        workgroup = abcd

        netbios name = FILESERVER

        server string = Samba Server

        security = DOMAIN

        encrypt passwords = Yes

        update encrypted = Yes

        obey pam restrictions = Yes

        password server = dc

        pam password change = Yes

        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

        unix password sync = Yes

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

        max log size = 0

        dns proxy = No

        winbind uid = 10000-20000

        winbind gid = 10000-20000

        hosts allow = 192.168.0.

        printing = cups

After I make this file, I add a samba computer as pre-windows2000
computer in my Windows 2003 Server Active Directory. And reset the
account. After that, I running "smbpasswd -j abcd -r dc -U
Administrator%passwd" command and give below answer

Error connecting to dc - NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Unable to join domain abcd

If I running "smbpasswd -j abcd -r dc" without username, the output is

2003/09/03 16:31:38 : change_trust_account_password: Changed password
for domain abcd.

Joined domain abcd

It seems to be fine. But if I type "wbinfo -u" or "wbinfo -g, the output
is

0xc0000022

If I type "wbinfo -t" or "wbinfo -p", the output is "secret is good" and
"ping is successes"

I don't know what the problem is. Could anyone help me? I found a lot of
resource about that. But nobody can help me. Thanks a lot....

Regards,

Andy