[Samba] Samba & MS Office

John Campbell jcampbell at max-t.com
Thu Oct 16 21:27:40 GMT 2003

Hi,

We have a similar problem and I still haven't figured it out. In our
case, Office insists on writing files to a "home" samba share with
permissions set to 0444. When writing a file to a share on a Windows
machine, there is no problem. Notepad and any other Windows applications
write files with proper permissions (in our case, 0644).

Oddly enough, saving Office files on other samba shares with identical
parameters in smb.conf doesn't exhibit the same behaviour, only when
Office writes a file to the home share do we get this problem with them
being read-only. I'm currently at a loss....

If you can solve this, please email me or post to the list.

Thanks,

--john campbell