[Samba] Samba & MS Office

Andreas Unterkircher andreas.unterkircher at cubit.at
Thu Oct 16 07:18:12 GMT 2003

Hello!

I have a strange probleme with samba (debian sid, 3.0final) and
Microsoft Office (in moment 97 is in use, but the same error
with Office XP). I didn't found something in the Mailing-Lists-Archive,
so I simple ask - Samba is used as PDC with Domain-Logons.

When creating a new Document in Microsoft Word and try to save
it on a samba share, we always get an error - Word says, that
saving this file failed (no more information), than it asks, if we
would try to safe again, we click on Yes and than it works!?!?

Debugging is fully turned on (level 10), but we only see, that samba
says, writing ist ok, but in the first try, it hasn't saved this file!

This happens only with the MS Office. I also tried it with (as example)
notepad to save a simple txt-file and this makes no problem!

If found some informations in the Mailing-List and enabled following
things:
        strict allocate = Yes
        strict locking = Yes
        strict sync = Yes

But that hasn't solved the Problem.

Here is a snap of our smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = OURSMBDOMAIN
        security=user
        name resolve order=wins bcast
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        interfaces = 192.168.193.0/24
        encrypt passwords = true
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 10
        time server = Yes
        keepalive = 30
        guest account = nobody
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4096
        domain admin group = root, Administrator, @smbusers
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false -M %u
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
        logon script = %U.bat
        domain logons = Yes