[Samba] SPAM

beers at xs4all.nl beers at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 15 13:32:26 GMT 2003

This will stop spammers sending to list, but also will hurt people
incidently asking questions, without being subscribed. Depending on
policy. The occasional spam arriving via the list is neligable as compared
to my daily dose of 300+ spams. It will hurt people using the archive as a
means to see replies w/o being subscribed. Hurt much, effect little.

> I've never seen a virus arrive *through* the list.  I think what people
> are
> complaining about is viruses being sent to them directly.

yeah, the complaint is: when subscribing to SAMBA, the email adres used
will get spam and virusses at once. Quite possibly by the publication of
the list onto usenet with the real adres still visible. The spam is
understandeble, the virusses also, since the introduction of spamming
virusses.

The resolution could be to block the email addy from the senders to the
list, when forwarding, but this would hamper ligitimate usage, such as
replying to sender. (perhaps the follow up discussion isnt SAMBA related)

This is of course totally upto the VOLUNTEERS running this list, if you do
not like it, feel free to start a SAMBASTOPSPAM list orso.

Threatening to sue VOLUNTEERS over such a silly thing will get you the
mocking of every Dutchmen I know, and leads me to believe the complainer
was pissed, and should get sober, or the complainer is an American Layer.
I hope the former, I think the latter. Or he plays one on the internet
anyways.

If the complainer was to post onto usenet, and subsequently would get a
spammie, who would he then sue? Al Gore?

Last but not least, can everybody on this list please reply to this spam
discussion, my mailbox isnt yet full, and this list is like, low on
traffic.

Richard van Beers